Though the NHL transaction freeze is now underway, there is bound to be some roster movement throughout the holidays. The freeze only stops teams from trading, waiving or loaning players away from their current roster, and there are certain loopholes. One of those is that any player recalled after December 11th can still be loaned back to the minor leagues, which is why we saw so many teams making paper transactions yesterday. Like always, we’ll keep track of all the minor moves right here.
- Phil Varone is back up with the Philadelphia Flyers after a quick trip to the minor league roster. The team now has some flexibility and will be able to send both Varone and Carter Hart back to the minor leagues if necessary over the break. Varone, who has just five points in his NHL career, is an outstanding offensive player that hasn’t been able to break through at the highest level just yet. He’ll serve as some forward insurance for the club over the next little while.
- After clearing waivers yesterday, Garrett Wilson is on his way to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Wilson was just an injury fill-in for the Pittsburgh Penguins, but will now wait his turn in the minor leagues as Dominik Simon approaches a return to action. The team is allowed to do this because of the timing of Wilson’s waiver stint.
- Tyler Gaudet has been recalled by the Nashville Predators, which according to Paul Skrbina of the Tennessean could mean a trip to injured reserve for Colton Sissons. Gaudet hasn’t played in the NHL since 2016-17, but does have 14 points in 27 games for the Milwaukee Admirals this year.
- As expected, the Arizona Coyotes have recalled Adin Hill and Conor Garland after just a day on the minor league roster. The pair were sent down just to create some more flexibility over the break.
- In Calgary, Buddy Robinson and Ryan Lomberg have been recalled while Kerby Rychel has been sent back to the Stockton Heat. Robinson, 27, brings a huge body up to the Flames as the forward stands 6’6″ but also comes with some skill. With 53 points for the Manitoba Moose last season, Robinson outscored top prospects like Michael Spacek, Nic Petan and Brendan Lemieux.