Prospect Snapshots: DeBrincat, Second Round, Sergachev

Since Chicago Blackhawks prospect Alex DeBrincat was cut from the United States World Junior team in late December, he’s determined to prove that it was a mistake. When he was dropped, he was the OHLs leading goal-scorer and trailed only teammate Taylor Raddysh (who played for Canada at the tournament) in points. He hasn’t slowed down at all, scoring four more points today for the Erie Otters and extending his lead in the scoring race. He now has 92 points in 45 games and is a clear leader in goals scored.

The Blackhawks signed DeBrincat to a three-year entry-level contract earlier this season, and it looks like he’ll be making an impact in professional hockey as soon as he makes the leap. His 39th-overall selection looks like a steal now, as he’s about to post his third straight 100+ point season in the OHL and possibly help his team to a Memorial Cup.

  • Over at Fan Rag Sports, Hannah Stuart took a look at five potential second-round steals in the upcoming draft. It even includes one Erie Otter rookie who will be getting a ton of extra ice time next season when DeBrincat, Raddysh and Ryan Strome all leave for greener pastures. Ivan Lodnia, the Otters’ young sniper has 21 goals and 45 points in his OHL debut. She also mentions Boston University’s Jake Oettinger, who sat in the press box at the World Juniors behind Tyler Parsons and Joseph Woll on Team USA. Despite being ranked 3rd on Central Scouting’s goaltender list, Stuart believes big things are ahead for the NCAA standout.
  • The Montreal Canadiens are in the thick of trade talks all around the league, and Darren Dreger of TSN says that GM Marc Bergevin is “all in” on upgrading this season. That has sparked some talk about the possibility of dealing last summer’s first-round pick Mikhail Sergachev, but The Fourth Period has shut that down. The report says that while Sergachev is basically untouchable, Noah Juulsen may be in play when it comes to big upgrades down the middle for the NHL club. Juulsen is the captain of the Everett Silvertips in the WHL and was Montreal’s first-round selection in 2015.

Maple Leafs Notes: Rielly, Marchenko, Maturity

Morgan Rielly gave Toronto Maple Leafs fans a scare today as he was absent for practice, but it shouldn’t be too concerning. Head coach Mike Babcock told reporters including David Alter of The Athletic afterwards that Rielly will be skating tomorrow and that it was just a maintenance day coming off injury. Rielly missed a few games for the Leafs with a knee injury recently, and looked a bit tentative in last night’s win against the Boston Bruins. The Maple Leafs will need him if they’re to make it back to the playoffs for the first time since the lockout-shortened season.

  • Alexey Marchenko hit the ice for the first time with his new team today, skating as the extra defenseman at practice. While Mike Babcock admitted to Alter that Marchenko won’t play Monday versus the New York Islanders, the coach will be getting him into the lineup sooner or later. We looked at what the acquisition of Marchenko means for Roman Polak and the other right-handed defenseman yesterday, but it doesn’t look like it will happen right away in Toronto. Polak remained firmly in the third pairing role alongside Matt Hunwick, who will likely figure back into the lineup after Martin Marincin took three minor penalties against Boston.
  • Frank Corrado has indeed been sent to the minors where he will assume big minutes on the Toronto Marlies. With Rinat Valiev out with a lower-body injury, expect Corrado to join the top pairing and have something of a showcase as we get closer to the trade deadline.
  • In winning the see-saw battle last night against the Bruins, and with it slaying any lingering demons from the Maple Leafs collapse in game 7 of their last playoff appearance, Amalie Benjamin of NHL.com considers this group well ahead of schedule. In her latest column, she writes that the team is maturing much faster than was expected and should be considered a completely different entity than the lackluster teams of the last decade (or longer, depending on who you ask).

PHR Originals: 01/30/2017 – 02/05/2017

As we get closer to the NHL trade deadline, PHR has been pumping out the original pieces. Here is a look at the past week:

Peter Budaj And The Comeback Kids

Peter Budaj was done. Finished. Washed-up. On his way out. Lost at sea.

Then, suddenly he wasn’t.

When Jonathan Quick and Jeff Zatkoff both sustained injuries within the first two weeks of the season, many believed the Kings would panic and overpay for a replacement netminder. Ben Bishop, Jimmy Howard, Marc-Andre Fleury were all names that were expected to be linked to the west-coast royalty, but nothing materialized. The team immediately said that they weren’t going to overpay for a goaltender when they weren’t sure how long Quick would be out, and believed their team was good enough to hold down a playoff spot until his return. What they didn’t expect, was that they would get all-star level goaltending from a guy who had never given it before, and who was rapidly approaching the back half of his thirties.

Peter Budaj made his first start for the Los Angels Kings this season on October 20th, and allowed three goals on 20 shots. Here we go, thought Kings’ fans who expected an .850 save percentage was about all they would get from a 34-year old journeyman. After all, Budaj had played in just one NHL game the last two seasons, and had a career .903 save percentage. Their season was lost unless they went out and got another goaltender, but how could they afford it?

And then, magic. Budaj would find another gear and lead the Kings to a 24-14-3 record while recording a .923 save percentage. His seven shutouts lead the league (ahead of some household names in Braden Holtby, Devan Dubnyk and Tuukka Rask) and he’s recorded a goals against average 0.7 less than his career average. In short, he’s been great.

Read more

What Alexey Marchenko Means For Roman Polak

On Saturday morning, it was announced that the Toronto Maple Leafs had claimed Alexey Marchenko from the Detroit Red Wings. While that headline isn’t the blockbuster we’ve been waiting for, it does have some impact on a team that is still deciding what to do at the quickly approaching deadline.

The Maple Leafs placed the much discussed Frank Corrado on waivers in a corresponding move, possibly ending the defenseman’s tenure in Toronto. Corrado hasn’t played much this year, getting into just two games with the NHL club and seven on an AHL conditioning stint. Clearly in head coach Mike Babcock’s doghouse since he came to Toronto, the team has been looking for a right-handed upgrade for a long time.

Marchenko has ties to Babcock from his days in Detroit, though not many. The 25-year old got into just 14 games while Babcock was coaching. It is that familiarity though that has some people saying that he’ll jump into the lineup (at least on a part-time basis) instead of Roman Polak. James Mirtle of the Athletic was on TSN 1050 today and related his thoughts on the matter.

He’s going to play him. The fact that he’s going to play another right defenseman means Roman Polak is going to be sitting out games, and they can look to trade him at some point.

Maybe they play Polak until the deadline, and then they move him…and now they’ve got Marchenko that can slide into those minutes.

The idea that Polak would be moved out of Toronto for the second time in two years is a persistent one in Toronto, as he continues to struggle when paired with Matt Hunwick in all situations other than the penalty kill. While he brought back a pair of second-round picks (when combined with Nick Spaling) last season, it would be surprising to see the Leafs receive anything like that this time around. Polak doess bring a physical presence and the experience of a long Stanley Cup run last season with San Jose, still valued attributes around the league.

For the Maple Leafs, it’s not clear whether they would want to add, sell or just stay the course with a team that is unexpectedly vying for a playoff spot this season. The plan has always been to build slow through the draft, but with the Atlantic Division wide open they have a chance at a playoff seed as soon as this year. Keeping Polak for their push might be beneficial in the long run; this team will be extremely inexperienced if they do make it, as even their veterans haven’t seen more than a handful of playoff games.

We’ll see soon enough how Mike Babcock is leaning, as the Maple Leafs don’t have a second to breathe. After tonight in Boston, they have four more games in seven days including rematches against the Dallas Stars and St. Louis Blues, both clubs that destroyed them this week. If Marchenko gets into the lineup for Polak right away, start looking around to see where he might fit around the league. Lou Lamoriello is known for getting his work done a little early, and the Leafs may pull the trigger quicker than you expect.

Nashville Predators Acquire Vernon Fiddler

With the New Jersey Devils falling further out of a playoff spot, they’ve started selling off their veteran assets. The team has dealt Vernon Fiddler to the Nashville Predators for a fourth-round pick in 2017. Fiddler was signed this summer for just $1.25MM, but has provided only three points through his first 39 games.

Fiddler will return to the place he began his career, debuting for the Predators back in 2002-03. The Edmonton, Alberta native has played in 857 games total over his long career. Even though he’s never been an offensive dynamo (his career high is 13 goals) Fiddler is a testament to work ethic and defensive prowess. He’s been able to stay relevant in the NHL through strong faceoff play and responsible positioning.

The Devils have now acquired three additional picks for this summer’s draft, adding this to the Bruins’ second-round pick and Avalanche’s third-rounder. They’ll have six picks in the first four rounds this year and next, letting a team that finds itself at the bottom of the Eastern Conference start their rebuild (or perhaps reload).

Remember just last year the Devils had two 30-goal scorers in Adam Henrique and Kyle Palmieri and added Taylor Hall in the offseason. One would think that they wouldn’t have trouble putting the puck in the net, but currently find themselves last in the East in goal scoring (going into tonight’s action). P.A. Parenteau, another upcoming free agent should also be dealt by the deadline, along with Kyle Quincey if they can find a taker.

Nashville will add Fiddler to their depth down the middle that has been questioned at times this year. Likely slotting in on the fourth line, he’ll see time on the penalty kill and in defensive zone starts. Never under 50% in the faceoff dot in a single season, Fiddler is currently winning 52.6% of his draws. Combined with Mike Fisher and Ryan Johansen, who are both excellent faceoff men, the Predators will start with the puck more than not.

Ben Bishop Indicates He’s Open To A Trade

Between losing playing time to Andrei Vasilevskiy, the Lighting struggling, and being in the final year of a contract, Tampa Bay Lightning goaltender Ben Bishop has indicated he may be open to a trade should he be approached by general manager Steve Yzerman.

The catalyst would be more playing time, but according to Bishop, he’s not actively looking to leave the Lightning. For the veteran goalie, it’s about having an opportunity to play regularly. Yzerman is open to doing whatever is best for the team, as evidenced by his comments on the “Lightning Morning Skate Show.” Yzerman had this to say:

“If I could do something that helped our team make a trade that identified a need for us — not just for this year, but going forward — I would do that, and haven’t been able to do that to this point, and that’s been going on, really, since the [NHL Draft] last year.”

It’s an interesting turn in events, since Bishop was already a target to be traded before the season even began. But Bishop struggled out of the gate, and the Lightning are not quite the team everyone expected them to be. Flailing at the bottom of the Eastern Conference, the Lightning may be more of sellers with the future in mind instead of peddling Bishop away for more depth in anticipation of a long playoff run. Affording Bishop the chance to have more playing time elsewhere certainly makes him more open to a trade, since Bishop has a limited no trade clause.

What could Bishop fetch should a trade commence? Our very own Mike Furlano had a detailed write up earlier this week. It appears, between the Bolts and Bishop agreeing that a trade could be good for everyone, that something could happen sooner rather than later.

Coyotes Deal To Build Arena In Tempe Is Dead

A potential deal to build a new arena in Tempe, Arizona for the Coyotes is dead, according to a report by Anne Ryman, Mary Jo Pitzl and Jessica Boehm of The Arizona Republic. A plan involving the Coyotes and Arizona State University to build a 330-acre athletic district which would have included separate arenas for the two had been in the works since November but Arizona State has withdrawn from the negotiations.

In a statement released this evening by Arizona State, the school “has no intention of proceeding to sign a development agreement or an option to lease or any other agreement with the Coyotes.”

The Coyotes have long been looking for a resolution to their arena situation in Arizona and this is just another setback for the organization. It’s unclear whether the team has any other options in Arizona at this point.

The decision comes just days after Senator Bob Worsley introduced legislation that would have ultimately provided funding for the project without impacting the state’s general fund. He agreed to sponsor the legislation with the express purpose of ensuring the Coyotes would remain in Arizona.

Unless the Coyotes have an in-state alternative, this news will almost assuredly lead once again to rumors of relocation with Quebec City an Seattle representing possible destinations, though the latter option would not create a further imbalance among the conferences.

Pacific Division Snapshots: Marleau, Miller, Oilers D

Prior to the start of the season, it seemed to be virtually a foregone conclusion that it would be Patrick Marleau‘s last in San Jose. After all, the veteran of 19 NHL campaigns will turn 38 before opening night in 2017-18 and will reportedly be seeking a multiyear pact this summer as a free agent. However, a recent hot streak that has seen Marleau record seven goals in his last five games may have moved the needle some on the likelihood he remains in Northern California. According to Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area, his return may ultimately hinge entirely on his willingness to accept a one-year deal worth something in the neighborhood of $3MM to $4MM.

Kurz compares the current situation with Marleau to that of Dan Boyle, who hit free agency at the age of 37 in the summer of 2014 and left the Sharks because the two sides couldn’t agree on the length of a new deal. Boyle would ink a two-year deal with the New York Rangers and as Kurz writes, the longtime Sharks blue liner was “devastated” to leave the Bay Area. Marleau has tallied 19 goals in 52 games this season and could attract multiyear offers on the open market this summer based on that strong production, in which case it’s probable he won’t be donning a Sharks jersey in 2017-18.

Elsewhere in the Pacific Division:

  • Like Marleau, it seemed likely that Vancouver goalie Ryan Miller would have a new home by the time the 2017-18 season started. The Canucks were expected by many to be a lottery team in 2016-17 and with Miller in the final year of his deal he would have represented an interesting rental asset the team could have cashed in to advance their rebuild. However, with Vancouver surprisingly still in the playoff hunt and with Miller turning in a solid performance between the pipes, the chances of the 36-year-old sticking around for another year or two have increased, as Ben Kuzma writes in a piece for the Vancouver Sun. Kuzma notes that good teams need quality play in net, pointing out the difference between former Canucks bench boss Alain Vigneault and the recently fired Ken Hitchcock of St. Louis. Vigneault, who has been fortunate to have Henrik Lundqvist, Cory Schneider and Roberto Luongo man the pipes during his coaching career, just inked a two-year extension and received a raise to $4MM annually. The Blues have received lackluster play in goal this season and that fact played a role in Hitch’s termination. If Miller is willing to take a short-term deal to stay with Vancouver, he could provide a solid bridge to top prospect Thatcher Demko.
  • While the Oilers have received better play from their blue line in 2016-17, the team’s top-four has struggled of late, leading David Staples of the Edmonton Journal to suggest shuffling not just the defense corps but also the club’s forward lines. Staples tracks contributions that lead to scoring chances for and mistakes which lead to scoring chances against, and of late too many of the team’s key players are responsible for more of the latter than the former. The scribe feels the team could elevate Matt Benning and/or Brandon Davidson into the top-four, spreading the defensive responsibilities around some. Up front Staples thinks it’s time to split up Leon Draisaitl and Connor McDavid, perhaps putting the struggling Ryan Nugent-Hopkins on McDavid’s wing. Ultimately, if the team continues to struggle, it’s possible Edmonton will circle back to the trade market to seek additional depth.

Arizona Coyotes Trade Henrik Samuelsson To Edmonton Oilers

Just hours after dealing Justin Peters to the Dallas Stars, the Arizona Coyotes are at it again. They’ve sent Henrik Samuelsson to the Edmonton Oilers for Mitch Moroz. Both players were selected in the 2012 draft, just five picks apart (27th and 32nd respectively).

Samuelsson was once a highly regarded prospect, going in the first round and bursting onto the AHL season as a rookie. He scored 40 points in 68 games that season and had the pedigree of his former-NHL father Ulf Samuelsson. Since that rookie season when he got a three-game taste with the Coyotes, Samuelsson has completely dropped off the map. Scoring just 12 points last season and dealing with multiple lower-body injuries has him almost listed as a bust among Arizona prospects. His skating has never been good enough for the NHL and though he’s only 22, it will be a long road ahead for him to turn it around.

Moroz, much the same story, was a teammate of Samuelsson on the Edmonton Oil Kings when they won a Memorial Cup in 2014. Selected just a few picks later he hadn’t reached the same scoring highs as his teammate but was expected to grow into a legitimate NHL power forward. Also just 22, he may still find the scoring touch that he has been sorely missing but it’s been a long three years since he left junior. In 123 AHL games, Moroz has just 22 points. Even his physical play has taken a step backwards, and he’ll need to find new motivation should he want to continue his professional career.

It’s an odd move for the Coyotes, who would be the last team expected to go after a former enforcer with little to no scoring ability. Perhaps they see something in Moroz that the Oilers have given up on, but more likely this is just a positional move as the Coyotes have a surplus of centers and the Oilers need some for their minor league squad.

Show all