After yesterday’s afternoon action, the NHL returns today with six evening matchups that include some interesting Metropolitan battles. The Devils, Islanders, Flyers and Rangers are all within four points of each other in the Metro, and today’s games will be another important chapter in the race for the wildcard spots. Though the Capitals have pulled away at the top of the division, the rest is still just as competitive as ever. For those teams, changes on the fringe of the roster are extremely important. We’ll keep track of all the minor moves around the league right here.
- The Tampa Bay Lightning have recalled Louis Domingue from the AHL, sending Connor Ingram back after the bye week. Domingue recorded a pair of shutouts for the Syracuse Crunch during the break, continuing his confident run since leaving the Arizona Coyotes earlier this year. The goaltender has completely turned around his season, and will serve as the backup to Andrei Vasilevskiy at least until Peter Budaj is healthy (and perhaps beyond).
- The Los Angeles kings have recalled Michael Amadio and Paul Ladue from the AHL after waiving Jussi Jokinen and sending Oscar Fantenberg and Kurtis MacDermid back down. Amadio is in the midst of a 17-game point streak in the AHL, and has 34 in 30 games. The Kings are on a four game losing steak and need to turn things around quickly if they expect to stay in a playoff position in the Western Conference.
- The San Jose Sharks have indeed moved Paul Martin to the minor leagues after he cleared waivers today. Martin will try to prove that he’s still a valuable defenseman in the NHL, and attract a potential suitor from somewhere around the league.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets have recalled Joonas Korpisalo now that their bye week is about to end. Korpisalo was sent to the minor leagues to stay in game ready shape during the time off, and is now back up in the NHL where he’s appeared in nine games this season.
- Frederick Gaudreau is back in the NHL with the Nashville Predators for the fourth time this season, taking Viktor Arvidsson’s roster spot after he was moved to injured reserve. Gaudreau has played 18 games with the Predators this year, recording just three points. Arvidsson was injured at practice yesterday and is out with a lower-body injury, though according to Adam Vingan of The Tennessean, the IR stint is retroactive to the team’s last game on January 9th. Arvidsson took morning skate with the team, but won’t play tonight against the Vegas Golden Knights.
- Cory Schneider won’t be starting tonight for the New Jersey Devils as he’s come down with an illness, so Keith Kinkaid will be in net with Ken Appleby recalled to serve as his backup. To make room on the roster for Appleby, Steven Santini has been sent to the AHL. Appleby has never entered an NHL game and will likely be sent down soon afterwards.
- The Colorado Avalanche have recalled Dominic Toninato from the San Antonio Rampage, bringing up the 23-year old forward for the second time this season. Toninato has just 12 points in 30 games for the AHL club, but is a responsible two-way player that can provide some depth for the Avalanche.