The first Saturday in the regular season is a busy one with a total of 26 teams in action. Accordingly, there figures to be plenty of roster movement throughout the day. We’ll keep tabs on those moves here as well as other minor moves around the hockey world.
- The Blackhawks announced (Twitter link) that they have activated center John Quenneville off season-opening IR and assigned him to AHL Rockford. Chicago acquired the 2014 first-round pick from New Jersey back in June for John Hayden with the hopes that a change of scenery could help him take the next step in his development. The Chicago Blackhawks also announced they have returned defenseman Dennis Gilbert to the Rockford Ice Hogs of the AHL in a corresponding roster move. The 22-year-old defenseman was brought on the trip to Prague for the Global Series games and he played in Friday’s game against the Flyers. While he didn’t score any points in 14:57 of playing time, he did have four hits, a block and two shots on goal.
- As the injuries continue to pile up in Dallas, the Stars have recalled defenseman Joel Hanley and winger Joel L’Esperance, per a team release. Hanley got into 16 games with Dallas last season but was held off the scoresheet in all of them while L’Esperance had the top point-per-game rate with Texas while contributing a pair of goals in 18 NHL contests a year ago.
- While the Oilers were open to giving Anton Burdasov some AHL games to basically extend his tryout, the Russian winger had other ideas. SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL announced that they’ve signed the 28-year-old to a one-year contract. Burdasov had 19 goals and 114 PIMS last season with Salavat Yulaev and another good year could get him back on the NHL radar next summer.
- The Arizona Coyotes announced they have recalled goaltender Antti Raanta from the Tucson Roadrunners. The team’s starting netminder was allowed to go on a conditioning stint before the season started as the team has confidence in backup Darcy Kuemper, but have already decided that one AHL start was all that Raanta needed. He could get the call tonight against the Boston Bruins. Raanta has dealt with several injuries in the past two years and has missed quite a bit of time, but the team is hoping for an injury-free season this year. The Coyotes also returned goalie Adin Hill to Tucson to offset the Raanta move.
- The San Jose Sharks announced they have placed defenseman Jacob Middleton on long-term injured reserve with an undisclosed injury after leaving Friday’s game against the Vegas Golden Knights during the first period. In a corresponding move, the Sharks have recalled defenseman Trevor Carrick from the San Jose Barracuda of the AHL to replace him. The 24-year-old defenseman, who signed with the Sharks during the offseason, has only four games of NHL experience after playing the last five years with the Charlotte Checkers of the AHL.
- The Anaheim Ducks announced they have recalled forward Isac Lundestrom from the San Diego Gulls of the AHL. The team’s first-round pick from 2018 played 15 games last season, picking up two assists as the team burned the first year of his entry-level contract already. He dealt with injuries however, and only appeared in 12 games with the Gulls last season.