Mark Scheifele Suspended Four Games

June 4: Speaking with the media today, Scheifele explained that though he had the option to appeal, he has decided not to.

June 3: The Department of Player Safety has reached a verdict in the case of Mark Scheifele, handing out a four-game suspension to the Winnipeg Jets forward. Scheifele will miss games two through five of the Jets’ second-round series against the Montreal Canadiens with his team already down 1-0.

As the accompanying video explains:

Scheifele, moving with excessive momentum gained from travelling a considerable distance, finishes his check violently and with excessive force into Evans, making significant head contact in the process and causing an injury.

The league also acknowledged Scheifele’s argument that the distance was travelled with the idea of trying to break up Jake Evans‘ empty-net goal attempt but felt that him not attempting to make a play on the puck meant that he was conceding the goal, leading to the following:

Instead, it is apparent to our department that his intention on this play is to deliver a hard, violent check to an opponent with the outcome of both the play and the game already having been decided.  In short, this is a player who has travelled a considerable distance, is moving with exceptional speed, and is fully aware of his momentum who chooses to charge into a vulnerable opponent with a high, predatory hit that causes an injury.

The incident occurred at the very end of the game as Evans scored a game-clinching empty-net goal, and resulted in the Canadiens’ forward lying on the ice unconscious. Evans was eventually stretchered off the ice but did not require hospitalization. According to Montreal head coach Dominique Ducharme, the young forward (who turned 25 last night) suffered a concussion but is recovering.

For Scheifele, it means that he will miss a good chunk of this series should the Jets fail to come out victorious without their star center. Now 28, he recorded his fifth consecutive point-per-game campaign in 2020-21, scoring 63 in 56 during the regular season. In the first-round sweep against the Edmonton Oilers, Scheifele recorded five points but was kept completely off the board by Phillip Danault and company last night.

He received a five-minute major and game misconduct for the hit on Evans and also did not have a history of supplementary discipline. Still, he’ll now miss four games in the North Division deciding series.

TSN’s Darren Dreger was the first to report the suspension.

Montreal Canadiens Sign Mattias Norlinder

The Montreal Canadiens have signed Mattias Norlinder to a three-year, entry-level contract. The deal kicks in for the 2021-22 season and will carry an average annual value of just under $860K.

Norlinder, 21, is coming off his first season at the SHL level, a year that saw him hold demonstrate his impressive potential playing a regular shift with Frolunda. Originally selected 64th overall in 2019, he scored 10 points in the regular season and then added five more in seven postseason games. The young defenseman isn’t big, but his incredibly quick decision-making and excellent skating ability makes him an exciting prospect for the Canadiens moving forward.

You’re just as likely to see Norlinder leading a rush as defending one, but that doesn’t mean he forgets about his own end. As Canadiens director of player development Rob Ramage told Arpon Basu of The Athletic last year, Norlinder is “fun to watch.” That continuous push to get the puck back and drive it the other way with pace is an exciting ability in today’s NHL and one that Montreal doesn’t have enough of in its current NHL group. The 21-year-old likely won’t be stepping into the NHL right away, as he told Patrik Bexell of Habs Eyes On The Prize that the plan is that he spends next season in Frolunda, unless he makes the Canadiens out of training camp.

Artturi Lehkonen Skates In Non-Contact Jersey, Canadiens Re-Sign Tobie Paquette-Bisson To AHL Deal

  • Canadiens winger Artturi Lehkonen took part in an optional skate today but was in a non-contact jersey, relays TVA Sports’ Renaud Lavoie (Twitter link). As a result, his availability for Monday’s game against Toronto appears to be in jeopardy.  He has been out since suffering an upper-body injury in the third game of the series.  Montreal’s AHL affiliate in Laval also announced (Twitter link) that they’ve re-signed Tobie Paquette-Bisson to a one-year, one-way AHL contract.  The blueliner played in 28 games with the Rocket this season.

Playoff Notes: Wahlstrom, Merrill, Lauzon, Foligno, Reaves

It’s the postseason which of course means injuries. And while players often try to play through their ailments come playoff time, it’s not always possible. This appears to be the case for young New York Islander forward Oliver WahlstromThe dynamic winger was injured in Game Five of the Isles’ first round series with the Pittsburgh Penguins and did not appear in Game Six. Per Newsday’s Andrew Gross, head coach Barry Trotz stated on Friday that Wahlstrom is trying to work his way back into the lineup, but remains “doubtful” for Game One against the Boston Bruins. Saturday’s morning skate did not bring any update and it appears as though Wahlstrom will miss at least one more outing. Whatever injury he has sustained, New York is clearly concerned that it many linger. They have yet to disclose any details about Wahlstrom’s condition, likely to protect him should he fight through the pain and return to the lineup.

  • While the Montreal Canadiens hope to stay alive on Saturday night in order to see a Game Seven with the rival Toronto Maple Leafs, defenseman Jon Merrill will need much more than just one or even two wins if he is to see the ice again this postseason. The Canadiens have announced that Merrill will not play in Game Six, replaced in the lineup by Brett Kulakand further comments by interim head coach Dominique Ducharme suggested that Merrill’s timeline for return is likely 7-to-14 days. If the Canadiens are to survive another week or two in the playoffs, they not only will need to complete an unlikely comeback against Toronto, but will also have to be the first team to defeat the Winnipeg Jets this postseason. It’s a tall task, especially without their solid deadline acquisition on the back end.
  • The Boston Bruins announced the opposite news this morning, with head coach Bruce Cassidy welcoming defenseman Jeremy Lauzon back to the lineup, according to The Athletic’s Fluto Shinzawa. Lauzon missed most of the team’s first round series with the Washington Capitals after taking a shot off the hand in Game One. With Kevan Miller also sidelined following a head injury in the series, Lauzon’s return will provide the Bruins with much-needed support on their bottom pair and adds a top penalty killer back to the lineup.
  • Nick Foligno was a full participant in morning skate for the Toronto Maple Leafs and was wearing a regular practice jersey, but TSN’s Kristen Shilton warns not to read into that too much. Foligno has appeared to be ready for previous games in this series, but has nevertheless missed each of the past three match-ups with a lower-body injury. Shilton adds that he did not look comfortable at morning skate. Head coach Sheldon Keefe also noted that Foligno remains a game-time decision, so Shilton appears to be right to caution any expectation that the big deadline addition will suit up.
  • Vegas Golden Knights forward Ryan Reaves was the cause of an injury on Friday night, shoving Minnesota Wild defenseman Ryan Suter face-first into the post. The check earned him a two-minute penalty for interference, but there was plenty of speculation that it could result in a suspension, especially given Reaves’ spotty reputation. However, it appears the grinder will move forward with his postseason scot-free. Adrian Dater of Colorado Hockey Now reports that Reaves will not have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety and as such will not receive any supplemental discipline. The stars of the Colorado Avalanche will have to watch for Reaves (and watch out for their faces) in Round Two.

Eric Staal Won't Play In Game Three, Cole Caufield To Make Playoff Debut

While Canadiens winger Tomas Tatar was expected to be a healthy scratch to make room for winger Cole Caufield’s playoff debut, that won’t be the case after all.  Instead, the team announced (Twitter link) that center Eric Staal will be scratched due to an undisclosed injury.  The veteran missed the final game of the regular season when it was revealed he had been playing through something but Staal did suit up in the first two playoff games, recording an assist.  With Jake Evans remaining unavailable due to his upper-body injury, Montreal will only have three natural centers in the lineup against Toronto tonight.

North Notes: Weber, Oilers, Tkachuk, Hamonic

The Department of Player Safety announced that they have fined Montreal Canadiens defenseman Shea Weber $5,000, the maximum fine allowable in the CBA,  for cross-checking Toronto’s Wayne Simmonds Saturday during Game 2 of the playoffs.

The veteran forward was not assessed a penalty against Simmonds on the play, but did receive a two-minute minor for cross-checking on Toronto’s Pierre Engvall during the third period and later received a 10-minute misconduct. Montreal received seven minor penalties during their 5-1 loss to Toronto.

  • The Edmonton Oilers look to be making several lineup changes after falling 2-0 to the Winnipeg Jets in their first-round matchup, according to Oilers insider Bob Stauffer. With the hope of being faster on the ice, the team is scratching James Neal, Dominik Kahun and Alex Chiasson, while bringing Tyler Ennis, Gaetan Haas and Devin Shore. The team has also split up defensemen Tyson Barrie and Darnell Nurse, while demoting forward Kailer Yamamoto to the third line.
  • Calgary Flames forward Matthew Tkachuk, who is eligible to sign an extension with the team, tells Sportsnet’s Pat Steinberg that he hasn’t spoken to Flames’ management about a new contract. The 23-year-old has one more year remaining at a $7MM AAV, but also will have a qualifying offer of $9MM when he becomes a restricted free agent. That’s a lot of money for a player that hasn’t taken that next step the team was hoping for. Tkachuk scored 34 goals and 77 points during the 2018-19 season and looked to be developing into a star player. However, those numbers have dropped to 23 goals and 61 points in 69 2019-20 and then 16 goals and 43 points in 56 games this season. There’s even been talk of Calgary making major changes this year, which could, in theory, include Tkachuk as well.
  • The Vancouver Canucks have high hopes they can re-sign defenseman Travis Hamonic to a new contract for the upcoming season. Hamonic, who will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason, played 38 games for Vancouver, mostly pairing with Quinn Hughes and fared well, despite dealing with injuries and rust. However, The Province’s Ben Kuzma reports that general manager Jim Benning said that there is interest in bringing back Hamonic, assuming the two sides can reach a reasonable deal. The 30-year-old signed a one-year deal worth $1.25MM in hopes of staying in Western Canada, suggesting a deal is legitimately possible.

Toronto’s John Tavares Stretchered Off Ice In Game One

May 21: Maple Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe told reporters including Chris Johnston of Sportsnet after the game that Tavares is “conscious and communicating well” but will spend the night in hospital for further testing. An update came from the team in the morning when the veteran forward was discharged from hospital:

Toronto Maple Leafs captain John Tavares has been discharged from the hospital this morning. He was thoroughly examined and assessed by the neursurgical team at St. Michael’s Hospital and the club’s medical director. He was kept overnight for observation and is now resting at home under the care and supervision of team physicians. Tavares will be out indefinitely. 

May 20:  The long-awaited postseason reunion of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens got off to a start that no one hoped to see. Maple Leafs captain John Tavares was forced from Game One on Thursday night just over ten minutes into the game following a serious head injury. Tavares required the use of a stretcher to leave the ice. He has been taken to a local hospital. There has been no further update as to his condition.

Tavares’ injury, while horrific, was completely unintentional. The Leafs star was checked by Montreal Canadiens defenseman Ben Chiarot while in transition. Montreal’s Corey Perryfollowing the play at full speed, skated by Tavares just as he fell to the ice. Perry’s knee struck Tavares directly in the head, launching the Hab into the air and knocking the Leaf to the ice. Toronto’s medical staff attempted to help Tavares from his prone position up to his knees, but he could not maintain his balance and fell back to the ice in a scary display of the immediate aftermath of a violent collision. The decision was made to bring the stretcher out in order to get Tavares off the ice. The captain was able to signal with a thumbs up as he exited, but this will not eliminate the fear and concern surrounding his condition.

Tavares, 30, is unlikely to return to the ice any time soon for the Maple Leafs, if at all this postseason following what was obviously a major head injury. It is a huge loss for the team, both on the ice and in the locker room. Tavares played in all 56 games for the Leafs this season, recording 50 points along the way. The anchor of the Leafs’ second line and a key piece of the top power play unit, Tavares was third on the team in scoring and second in assists. He is also Toronto’s top face-off man, enjoying a second consecutive season with career-best success at the dot with a 55.3% FOW. Tavares, of course, is also a locker room presence and an important part of the Leafs’ leadership group. Toronto will have to regroup and refocus in order to make sure that they don’t let Tavares’ loss, no matter how shocking it was to watch, cost them their first-round series.

Everyone at PHR wishes Tavares and his family the best during this frightening time.

KHL Notes: Demchenko, Weal, Kampfer

The Montreal Canadiens won’t be bringing back Vasili Demchenko next season, as the minor league goaltender has decided to return to Russia. Demchenko signed a new one-year contract with Avangard Omsk, meaning his North American sojourn lasted all of one year.

Signed to a one-year two-way contract in April of 2020, the 27-year-old ended up playing just four games at the AHL level, posting a .905 save percentage with the Laval Rocket. He was recalled to the taxi squad for just one day earlier this month and was ticketed for unrestricted free agency this summer.

  • Another Canadiens player likely headed to the KHL is Jordan Weal, as Eric Engels of Sportsnet reports that the minor league forward has signed a one-year deal with Ak Bars Kazan in the KHL. Weal, who actually played in 49 games for the Canadiens last season and has more than 200 games played at the NHL level, spent the entire 2020-21 campaign in the minor leagues. In 34 games for the Rocket, he registered 24 points.
  • Weal will likely be joined by Steven Kampfer, according to Engels and a report from Sport-Express in Russia. Kampfer has played in 20 games for the Boston Bruins this season but is also a pending unrestricted free agent. The 32-year-old defenseman has 39 points in 231 career games.

Minor Transactions: 05/18/21

With the playoffs underway for almost everyone, the taxi squad shuffle has ended. The unique season that saw more daily transactions than ever before is coming to an end, hopefully never to return. Still, there are going to be some moves from teams preparing for their first-round matchups, or players signing overseas. We’ll keep track of the notable minor moves right here.

  • The Washington Capitals have recalled Connor McMichael, Brett Leason, Paul Ladue, and Alexander Alexeyev from the AHL, though the group won’t be traveling to Boston with the active roster. McMichael especially has a lot of excitement surrounding him after scoring 27 points in 33 games during his first professional season at the AHL. The 20-year-old was the 25th overall pick in 2019 and should compete for a spot on the Capitals roster next season, even if he doesn’t get into any playoff matches this spring.
  • The Pittsburgh Penguins recalled some “Black Aces” of their own, bringing Anthony Angello, Kasper Bjorkqvist, Drew O’Connor, and Pierre-Olivier Joseph up from the AHL. Joseph, 21, played 16 games for Pittsburgh earlier this season and showed off his incredible potential, recording five points in the process and helping the team stay above water while nearly their entire defense corps was injured.
  • The Montreal Canadiens have recalled Carey Price and Brendan Gallagher from their short conditioning stint, bringing them back from the AHL along with Xavier Ouellet. The Canadiens start their series against the Maple Leafs on Thursday night, with Gallagher expected to play in his first NHL game since April 5.
  • The Nashville Predators have recalled Philip Tomasino from the Chicago Wolves, but he will report to the non-game group for the time being. The top prospect led the Wolves in goals this season and scored 32 points in 29 games. Just 19, he took advantage of the fact that the OHL didn’t play this season and showed what he could do at the professional level.

Further transactions will be added throughout the day.

Show all