There was tons of action around the NHL last night, but the moment that will be most talked about today is Marc-Andre Fleury’s incredible diving save to preserve a Vegas Golden Knights win against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Though Toronto gets a lot of the attention as they plummet in the standings, Vegas also needed a win after going 1-4-1 over their previous six games.
There are just two games on tap for tonight, meaning teams will likely make several roster transactions. We’ll keep track of them right here.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets have sent Markus Hannikainen back to the minor leagues, now that Nick Foligno’s three-game suspension has been served. Hannikainen has been up for two weeks but didn’t play in a game, and hasn’t gotten a single opportunity yet this season.
- Christoffer Ehn is back with the Detroit Red Wings, thanks to a lower-body injury to Darren Helm. Ehn has played in 14 games with the Red Wings this season, but is still looking for his first point. Helm is listed as day-to-day. Also out for Detroit is Givani Smith, placed on injured reserve retroactive to last Thursday. Smith may not be sidelined for very long, but in the meantime his roster spot will go to defenseman Joe Hicketts.
- Nicholas Caamano has been returned to the minor leagues as well, not for the first time this season. The young forward has been bouncing up and down between Dallas and Texas, playing 12 games for the NHL club and five in the AHL.
- With Devan Dubnyk dealing with a personal issue, the Minnesota Wild have recalled Kaapo Kahkonen from the minor leagues under emergency conditions. The young goaltender has a 7-2-2 record this season in the AHL with the Iowa Wild but has yet to make his NHL debut.
- After signing Kerby Rychel earlier this week, the Charlotte Checkers had a surplus of forwards. They’ve solved that issue by dealing Anthony Louis to the Texas Stars for future considerations. Louis, a former Chicago Blackhawks prospect out of Miami University, has been a solid AHL producer over the past two years, but was off to a slow start in his first season with Charlotte.