It’s a quiet night in the NHL with just five games scheduled, but there are sure to be some fireworks regardless. Connor McDavid makes his return from a two-game suspension in his hometown while the Calgary Flames take on a decimated New Jersey Devils lineup. As teams prepare for tonight’s action, we’ll be right here keeping track of all the minor moves.
- The Boston Bruins have recalled Karson Kuhlman and Peter Cehlarik under emergency conditions after Noel Acciari and Patrice Bergeron both missed practice this morning. The team takes on the Tampa Bay Lightning tomorrow night and likely just wanted some extra bodies to serve as insurance. Kuhlman made his NHL debut earlier this month and scored two points in four games with the Bruins.
- Samuel Montembeault has been recalled under emergency conditions by the Florida Panthers after James Reimer suffered an injury last night. The veteran backup left the game against the Arizona Coyotes and did not return, though it’s not clear yet how long his injury will keep him out. Montembeault is carrying a .901 save percentage through 37 games for the Springfield Thunderbirds.
- The Anaheim Ducks have recalled Sam Steel and Jacob Larsson under emergency conditions, though may only get into the lineup if another injury pops up. The team is expected to be without Ryan Getzlaf due to injury. Steel has played 14 games in the NHL this season while Larsson found himself in the lineup 38 times before his demotion.
- Jake Bean and Haydn Fleury have both been recalled by the Carolina Hurricanes under emergency conditions, giving the team two extra defensemen. The Hurricanes don’t play again until Friday, but both Justin Faulk and Calvin de Haan are listed as day-to-day with upper-body injuries.
- Teddy Blueger has been brought back up by the Pittsburgh Penguins under emergency conditions. Blueger only went down on Monday to maintain his AHL eligibility, but will join back with the team for now. The Penguins are dealing with several injuries and could use Blueger up front to help replace Bryan Rust.
- Andrew Cogliano is expected to miss the first game of his career due to injury tomorrow, so the Dallas Stars have recalled Joel L’Esperance from the minor leagues. L’Esperance is still looking for his first point at the NHL level but has 29 goals this season in the AHL.