Vancouver Canucks Place Tucker Poolman On LTIR
4:37 pm: Just a few hours later, Poolman has now been moved to long-term injured reserve, according to the team. Hughes, who was listed as week-to-week earlier in the day, has been moved to injured reserve so the Canucks can recall another defenseman from the AHL – Noah Juulsen, who has a -1 rating in two games this year with the Canucks. Assuming the LTIR placement is retroactive to October 18, Poolman is ineligible to return until November 11.
12:50 pm: Vancouver Canucks defenseman Tucker Poolman has been moved to injured reserve, and the team has recalled Guillaume Brisebois in his place. Poolman was listed as a game-time decision for the team’s game on Saturday but didn’t end up playing. His IR placement can be retroactive to the last time he did play (Oct 18), meaning he can be activated in just a few days if deemed healthy.
The 29-year-old just can’t seem to stay healthy and has played in just 43 games since signing a four-year, $10MM contract in 2021. Poolman has just four points in those games and has averaged fewer than 17 minutes a night as a Canuck. With the team in the midst of a firestorm of criticism after an 0-4-2 start (that has included blowing several multi-goal leads), his absence certainly won’t help things.
In his place is Brisebois, a 25-year-old that has just ten NHL games to his name. The third-round pick from 2015 is still looking for his first point at the highest level, but does at least bring some of the same defensive attributes that Poolman offers. With Quinn Hughes also missing today’s morning skate, the Canucks are potentially icing a defense group that looks anything but imposing. Thomas Drance of The Athletic reports that Brisebois is skating with Luke Schenn, Kyle Burroughs is with Jack Rathbone, while Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Tyler Myers make up the veteran portion of the blue line.
Injury Notes: Chytil, Danforth, Carlo
The New York Rangers will be without one of their young forwards for the next little while, telling reporters including Mollie Walker of the New York Post that Filip Chytil will be out for at least a week. While they called it an upper-body injury, Larry Brooks of the New York Post tweets that it is believed to be a concussion keeping Chytil off the ice.
The injury likely occurred on a hit from Cole Sillinger at the very beginning of yesterday’s game against the Columbus Blue Jackets, which left Chytil on the ice for several moments. The 23-year-old had been one of the team’s best players through the first part of the year, with Vince Mercogliano of USA Today noting that he is the only regular who hasn’t been on the ice for a goal against to this point.
- Justin Danforth is out indefinitely with an upper-body injury, though there is also no clarification on his timeline. The Blue Jackets forward left Saturday’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins and missed yesterday’s tilt against the Rangers. The 29-year-old had two goals and three points in his first five games, even playing a whopping 20:23 in the second game of the year.
- Brandon Carlo was back on the ice today practicing in a regular jersey, and head coach Jim Montgomery said he was “getting close” to a return. He also said that he’ll be cautious with the big defender though, as Carlo confirmed he suffered another concussion – his fifth since entering the NHL in 2016 – against the Arizona Coyotes last week. He’s been out since then, and the Bruins will do everything they can to make sure he is at no further risk before he re-enters the lineup.
Quinn Hughes Out Week-To-Week
The Vancouver Canucks didn’t have Quinn Hughes on the ice this morning and won’t for a little while longer. The team has announced Hughes is out week-to-week. Travis Dermott is too, while Brock Boeser and Riley Stillman are out on a day-to-day basis.
The Hughes news comes after Tucker Poolman was moved to injured reserve earlier today, with Guillaume Brisebois recalled to fill in tonight. When Brisebois hits the ice, he’ll already be the tenth defenseman that the Canucks have used this season.
Without Hughes (who is tied for second in scoring despite playing only five of the team’s six games) the Canucks were torn apart by the Buffalo Sabres. That included Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Kyle Burroughs, and Tyler Myers all playing at least 21 minutes, something that will have to continue for the next while.
Vancouver had the ominous jersey toss from fans in that loss to Buffalo, and as Farhan Lalji of TSN tweets, J.T. Miller had a choice quote about this situation. Things aren’t going well with the Canucks, and now they will be without their most dynamic defenseman for at least another several games.
Snapshots: Three Stars, Gurianov, Kessel
The NHL released its Three Stars for last week, with Buffalo Sabres defenseman Rasmus Dahlin taking the top spot. While he was good through the first few years of his career, Dahlin has really taken another step under Sabres head coach Don Granato. Last season he set career highs with 13 goals and 53 points, and he’s off to an incredible start this year with five goals and eight points in five games. Dahlin became the first defenseman in NHL history to score in the first four games of a season and then broke his own record by scoring again on Saturday night.
Brady Tkachuk and MacKenzie Blackwood take home the second and third spots, after having their own impressive weeks. Blackwood’s was especially impressive because of the poor start that the New Jersey Devils goaltenders got off to. In three starts, Blackwood posted a .932 save percentage and silenced some of the chatter over the future of head coach Lindy Ruff. Tkachuk, meanwhile, had seven points in three games, recording at least two in each contest.
- Denis Gurianov figures to be a healthy scratch when the Dallas Stars take on Tkachuk and the Ottawa Senators tonight, as his inconsistencies have once again pushed him out of the lineup. Head coach Peter DeBoer spoke with Matthew DeFranks of the Dallas Morning News, explaining that Gurianov is “not a young player anymore” and will be held to the consistency standard that other veterans are expected to maintain. The 25-year-old Gurianov doesn’t have a point through his first five contests.
- Vegas Golden Knights forward Phil Kessel will tie the NHL consecutive games streak tonight, when he takes on his old club the Toronto Maple Leafs. The veteran forward will play his 989th straight game, matching the record set by Keith Yandle. The last time Kessel missed a game was his first year with the Maple Leafs, back in 2009-10. He is also just 43 points away from 1,000 for his career.
Carey Price Not Retiring, Focused On Recovery
Carey Price hasn’t considered retirement, at least not yet. While meeting the media this morning, he explained that he is focused on getting pain-free and will take things day-by-day from there. Price explained that he is still having trouble climbing stairs or with other activities, but hasn’t closed the book on his NHL career.
Price, 35, is still signed through the 2025-26 season, earning at least $7.5MM in each season. That will stay on the books for the Canadiens, though it will be moved to long-term injured reserve every year he isn’t able to play, essentially allowing the team to spend that money elsewhere if needed.
Selected fifth overall in 2005, Price was always touted as the next great Canadiens goaltender. Though he didn’t step directly into the NHL, going back to the WHL for two full seasons, he quickly showed why he was drafted so high upon his arrival. As a rookie in 2007-08, Price posted a .920 save percentage, going 24-12-3 and finishing ninth in Vezina Trophy voting. By the time he was 23, he was leading the league in wins and finishing as a top-10 Hart Trophy finalist.
In 2014-15, both those trophies ended up in his possession, after one of the best seasons the NHL has ever seen from a goaltender. Price led the league with 44 wins, a .933 save percentage, and a 1.96 goals-against average. He added the Jennings and Lindsay to the trophy case as well, but that peak wouldn’t last long. The netminder would end up playing just 12 games the next season, and injuries would start to shape the narrative of his career.
His regular season performance since the start of 2017-18 has continued to decline, registering a save percentage of just .908 over that stretch. Even still, he showed a flash of peak Price in the playoffs, taking the Canadiens all the way to the Stanley Cup final in 2021.
Now, with retirement not on the table, Price says he is hoping to recover from a knee injury without undergoing another surgery – one that he suggests could risk his quality of life down the line. When asked if he’s been told when the knee issues started, Price laughed and said “about eight years old.” He listed off several other injuries he’s experienced – referencing his back, hip, and ankle – explaining that as he got older, it was harder to bounce back from these things.
Whether Price is focused on it or not, the end of his playing career seems closer than ever. He suggested that the surgery on the table – OATS, a procedure that takes cartilage from one area of the knee and grafts it into a damaged area – has a chance of causing further issues, both for his performance and quality of life. Without it, he is not able to train at a high level, meaning he’s just waiting to see if his knee responds to time and rehab instead.
If it is the end, Price would go down with 712 regular season appearances in his career, 28th all-time. His 361 wins put him even higher on the NHL leaderboard, sitting 21st, just ahead of Jonathan Quick.
When asked if he is at peace with the idea that he may have played his last game, Price used the word “miracle” to describe the possibility of a return.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images
Juraj Slafkovsky Undergoing Tests On Upper-Body Injury
There was a big absence at Montreal Canadiens practice today, as Juraj Slafkovsky was nowhere to be seen. The team released some information on the situation, noting that the first-overall pick is undergoing testing on his upper-body injury. Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports tweets that there is expected to be an additional update Wednesday on “how long he’ll be out.”
It has been an up-and-down start for the top prospect, as he at times looked completely overmatched by the speed of the NHL game. His only point came during his last game when he released a brilliant shot after getting hit hard by Josh Brown. He would end up seeing his highest amount of playing time in the game against the Arizona Coyotes, but missed Saturday’s match and now appears headed for the shelf.
Given there was already some debate over whether Slafkovsky should receive some time in the minor leagues to continue his development, an injury at this point in the year isn’t going to help things. There’s no doubting his talent, but in two of his five games on the year Slafkovsky failed to receive even ten minutes of ice time.
Should he end up out long-term, or even if it is more of a day-to-day thing, the Canadiens could still send him to the AHL when he is ready to return. For now, we’ll wait to see what kind of diagnosis is coming down the pipe.
Andrej Sustr And Michal Kempny Clear Waivers
Saturday: Sustr has cleared waivers, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports. No one was placed on waivers today.
Friday: With Jon Merrill set to get back into the Minnesota Wild lineup, the team has placed Andrej Sustr on waivers. Michal Kempny, who was placed on unconditional waivers yesterday, has cleared and will have his contract terminated.
Sustr, 31, hasn’t even played a game yet for the Wild, but is no longer even needed for insurance purposes. Merrill is expected to take Alex Goligoski‘s spot in the lineup tomorrow, after the veteran defenseman played in his 1,000th game yesterday. Goligoski will become the player that rotates in when needed, and Sustr can report to the minor leagues.
That is, of course, if he clears waivers, which isn’t necessarily guaranteed. Just last season he was claimed by the Anaheim Ducks when the Tampa Bay Lightning tried to sneak him through, and he ended up playing in 23 games down the stretch. The 6’7″ behemoth has played in 361 regular season NHL games, and is a useful veteran to have on the roster as a seventh option.
For teams that might be dealing with injuries on the back end, Sustr and his one-year, two-way contract might not be a bad option. Still, he doesn’t offer much upside, so if he slips through the Wild will be able to keep him in the organization as an injury replacement. Sustr played in the minor leagues without complaint last season, registering 12 points in 25 games for the Syracuse Crunch. Because the team has designated him for assignment already, they’ll be able to activate Merrill even before his waivers resolve tomorrow afternoon.
Nikolaj Ehlers Placed On Injured Reserve
The Winnipeg Jets have moved Nikolaj Ehlers to injured reserve, retroactive to October 18. The retroactive placement suggests that he won’t be out very long, but will miss at least the team’s next two games. With the roster spot, the team recalled Dominic Toninato, who cleared waivers recently and was playing in the AHL.
Ehlers, 26, played a full allotment of minutes in each of the team’s first two games of the season, registering three points along the way. He missed Wednesday’s matchup against the Colorado Avalanche after leaving the morning skate early, and then didn’t play last night in the loss to the Vegas Golden Knights. Amazingly, despite missing two games he still is in a tie for first among Jets forwards in scoring, showing just how important he is to the offensive performance of the team.
Toninato, meanwhile, broke camp with the team but was sent down after they claimed Axel Jonsson Fjallby on waivers. The 28-year-old forward played in 77 games with the team last season and scored 14 points, the best performance of his career so far.
It is not clear yet how long Ehlers will be out but the Jets sure could use him. Key forwards like Blake Wheeler, Adam Lowry, and Mason Appleton still haven’t scored, leaving the Winnipeg depth lacking at the moment. Neal Pionk leads the team in scoring with four points in four games, not exactly ideal for a group that has been so reliant on their forward group over the years.
Lawrence Pilut Recalled By Buffalo Sabres
After Henri Jokiharju took a puck to the face and exited last night’s game, the Buffalo Sabres have recalled Lawrence Pilut from the minor leagues. The team has not yet announced the extent of Jokiharju’s injuries.
Pilut, 26, is still waiver-exempt (amazingly), one of the biggest reasons why he wasn’t on the team to begin the year after a strong preseason. The Swedish defender is back in North America after spending the last two seasons in the KHL, and had two points in his first three games with Rochester before the recall. Undrafted, Pilut has found success at basically every level of hockey, including for a time in the NHL. In 2018-19 he played 33 games with the Sabres, recording six points and generally looking as though he could handle minutes in the big leagues.
When those minutes didn’t continue, he took an opportunity to play a bigger role in the KHL and had 28 points in 57 games during his first season in Russia. While he may never become a full-time player with the Sabres, Pilut represents some very solid depth for a club that looks like a real playoff contender this year. Buffalo is 3-1 and coming off an impressive victory over the Calgary Flames last night.
With Jokiharju exiting early, Mattias Samuelsson and Rasmus Dahlin both logged huge minutes, each nearing the 26-minute mark in the game. Jacob Bryson and Owen Power each cracked 20 themselves, while Casey Fitzgerald played just over 15. Where Pilut fits into that group remains to be seen, though with Ilya Lyubushkin nearing a return from his day-to-day injury, it’s not even a guarantee that he gets into a game at all. The Sabres continue their western trip with a stop in Vancouver tomorrow night.
Chicago Blackhawks Activate Jake McCabe
The Chicago Blackhawks are getting some veteran depth back on the blueline, activating Jake McCabe from injured reserve today. Recovered from cervical spine surgery that took place earlier this offseason, he’s expected to be in the lineup for the team tonight when they take on the Detroit Red Wings.
McCabe, 29, is one of the key pieces brought in during a 2021 offseason that ended up being too little, too late for the Blackhawks. The team struggled out of the gate, was embroiled in controversy, and quickly turned things over to general manager Kyle Davidson, who promptly started a full rebuild. The four-year, $16MM deal that Stan Bowman handed to McCabe doesn’t seem very practical now, though he is at least still young enough to remain an attractive trade candidate.
That is, of course, if he’s fully recovered from the back surgery, which remains to be seen. The long-time Buffalo Sabres defenseman is known for his physical, all-out style, blocking shots and punishing attacking players with equal frequency. Last season for the Blackhawks he led the team in hits and was behind only Calvin de Haan in blocks, while also putting up a very solid 22 points, only trailing Seth Jones in offense from the defense.
If McCabe can get back to a strong level of play, it’s easy to wonder if he’ll be shipped off like the rest of the valuable chips in Chicago. He does hold a seven-team no-trade clause and has a back-loaded contract, but minute-munching defensemen like him are always in demand at trade deadline time.
