Charlie Coyle Added To COVID Protocol
After the list had already come out for today, Charlie Coyle of the Boston Bruins was added to the COVID Protocol. The veteran forward will not play tonight for the Bruins.
To be clear, inclusion on the CPRA list does not mean that a player has tested positive for Coronavirus or even that they have been confirmed as a close contact to another positive person. Included in the NHL’s list of possible reasons for someone being on the list is are the following:
(1) an initial positive test which remains unconfirmed until confirmatory testing is completed pursuant to the Positive Test Protocol; (2) mandated isolation for symptomatic individuals pursuant to the Positive Test Protocol; (3) required quarantine as a high-risk close contact in accordance with the Positive Test Protocol; (4) isolation based on a confirmed positive test result and/or; (5) quarantine for travel or other reasons as outlined in the COVID-19 Protocol
Coyle’s appearance in the protocol does not mean he will be out for any length of time other than tonight’s game, or that there has been any spread throughout the Bruins locker room. Still, it’s concerning at least for tonight, just over an hour before the opening faceoff between the Bruins and Washington Capitals.
Boston will have to go without Coyle, who had been playing well of late and has eight points in 19 games this season. The 29-year-old forward scored two goals in his last game and is an important part of the Bruins’ secondary scoring. The versatile forward has lined up at both center and the wing, while seeing time on both the powerplay and penalty kill.
Curtis Hall Signs With Boston Bruins
After signing an AHL contract earlier this year, Curtis Hall has graduated to the big leagues. The young forward has signed his three-year entry-level contract with the Boston Bruins, which will carry a cap hit of $925K. Hall’s deal starts in the 2021-22 season, which is why it had to wait until today to be announced (March 1 is the first day that entry-level contracts for next season can be filed).
Hall, 20, has actually only played in one game for the Providence Bruins so far, failing to record a point. The 119th overall pick from 2018, he spent the last two seasons at Yale University, scoring 17 goals and 27 points in just 28 games during the 2019-20 campaign. Hall was also part of Team USA at the 2020 World Junior Championship but failed to medal.
While he’s dealing with a lower-body injury right now for Providence, there’s a lot to like about Hall’s game and future in the Bruins organization. The 6’4″ forward can do a little bit of everything on the ice, but could quickly rise up the depth chart thanks to his mix of size, speed, and strength.
Even when he returns, he won’t be eligible to play for Boston this season but should get some valuable experience with Providence.
John Beecher Undergoes Shoulder Surgery
- Bruins prospect John Beecher has undergone shoulder surgery which puts his college season to an end, relays Jimmy Murphy of Boston Hockey Now. It was a bit of a tough year for the 2019 first-rounder as a bout with COVID-19 put an end to his World Junior hopes and between that and this, the center was limited to just 16 games with the Wolverines this season, notching four goals and four assists. Boston will now have to decide if he’s better off returning for his junior year or turning pro.
Snapshots: Eichel/Krueger, Sutter, Wheeler, Grzelcyk
Buffalo Sabres head coach Ralph Krueger isn’t having a good week. The team has lost three straight, including a 3-0 shutout loss to Philadelphia Sunday. When star Jack Eichel went down with an injury and was expected to miss time earlier this week, Krueger told the press, including The Athletic’s John Vogl that Eichel got hurt during warm-ups on Thursday and his injury was not related to the fact that he missed the morning skate that day.
Eichel, who played Sunday, said after Sunday’s game that the injury didn’t happen in warm-ups like Krueger said. Eichel said the injury occurred during Tuesday’s game against New Jersey, contradicting Krueger’s statement three days earlier.
When Vogl asked about his job status, Krueger said he wasn’t worried.
“Absolutely not, John,” said Krueger. “If you do, I don’t know. But I’m not wired that way, just so you know. I’m wired to work on solutions and take responsibility, and I do both right now.”
Not a good sign in Buffalo.
- Vancouver Canucks center Brandon Sutter is having a solid season in the final year of his five-year, $21.9MM contract. The 32-year-old has scored six goals in 24 games so far this year. Despite being a logical trade chip for the upcoming trade deadline on April 12th, Sutter says he wants to stay with the Canucks past this year, according to The Province’s Ben Kuzma. “You know when your contract is up there’s always going to be speculation and talk,” he said. “For me, I’m just focused on this group and this team. I want to be here and this is where I want to stay. Really no secrets there from me.”
- Just because the Winnipeg Jets asked defenseman Toby Enstrom to waive his no-movement clause so the team could protect seven forwards, three defensemen and a goalie in the 2017 Vegas expansion draft, don’t expect Winnipeg to do the same with Blake Wheeler this year for the upcoming Seattle expansion draft. The Athletic’s Murat Ates (subscription required) writes that Wheeler would fit the profile of someone the Seattle Kraken would pass on if he were left exposed, considering he’s 35, has three more years at $8.25MM and is no longer a dominant top-line forward (although still a solid top-six player). The scribe notes that the Jets would never ask him to waive his no-movement clause. Winnipeg intends to use Wheeler as well as Mark Scheifele as examples to other Jets’ players that the team will stick with their stars for their entire career.
- Joe Haggerty of BostonHockeyNow writes the Boston Bruins could see the return of top-four defenseman Matt Grzelcyk soon. The 27-year-old blueliner practiced Saturday, but wasn’t ready to go Sunday against the Rangers. Grzelcyk has been out with a lower-body injury and has missed all but two games since Jan. 21. He has tried to come back twice when he obviously wasn’t ready. Grzelcyk has only appeared in six games this year.
Bruins Claim Jarred Tinordi Off Waivers From Predators
The Bruins have added some depth to their back end as Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reports (Twitter link) that they’ve claimed defenseman Jarred Tinordi off waivers from Nashville.
The 29-year-old has played in seven games this season with the Predators, logging a respectable 16:34 per night of ice time. However, he was pushed out of his spot by Ben Harpur and while Nashville thought they’d be able to sneak him onto the taxi squad considering he has cleared waivers four other times in his career, clearly that wasn’t the case.
Tinordi was a first-round pick of Montreal (22nd overall) back in 2010 but never was able to carve out a regular role for himself and was eventually traded to Arizona in 2016 as part of the move that saw John Scott get traded after being voted in as an All-Star starter. He played seven games with the Coyotes that season before spending three full seasons in the minors. However, injuries forced Nashville to recall Tinordi last year and he did well enough to play in 28 games with them (plus four more in the bubble) and see early action this season.
With Boston, Tinordi provides some extra insurance on the left side of their back end with Matt Grzelcyk and Jeremy Lauzon both on injured reserve at an affordable price. He’s in the second and final season of his contract that carries a league-minimum salary of $700K in the NHL and $300K in the minors although he will have to go through waivers again if the Bruins try to send him down once those injured players return.
Jeremy Lauzon Out With Fractured Hand
The Boston Bruins have announced that Jeremy Lauzon underwent surgery to repair a fractured left hand today, and he will not be reevaluated for the next four weeks. The defenseman was just starting to find his way in the NHL, receiving regular playing time as part of the team’s youth movement on the blueline.
Lauzon, 23, even played on the top pairing alongside Charlie McAvoy at times this season and logged at least 20 minutes of ice time in seven of his first 16 games. He had three points on the year, but actually led the Bruins in hits and had more shots on goal than any defenseman not named McAvoy. A key part of the team’s early success, he’ll have to work his way back after at least a month off.
Because of the condensed schedule, missing four weeks means missing at least 14 games, a quarter of the season. The question now becomes whether or not the Bruins use this injury as a catalyst to make a trade deadline acquisition, or rely on an internal replacement like Urho Vaakanainen. The depth chart is getting awfully thin with Lauzon, Matt Grzelcyk, and Jakub Zboril all now on or headed to injured reserve. Just yesterday, a report emerged that the Buffalo Sabres are willing to trade Brandon Montour, while speculation on Mattias Ekholm has led to the Bruins being a potential destination.
Luckily for Lauzon, he has another year on his current contract and won’t have to be going into arbitration with a limited amount of games. If healthy, he should return to the lineup later on this year and be given a chance to re-establish himself as a core piece on the back end.
Poll: NHL’s “Thanksgiving Trend” Revisited
Fans of the NHL are sure to be familiar with the deeper meaning that American Thanksgiving holds each season. With unrelenting consistency, the NHL’s standings on the final Thursday of November have had great predictive ability when compared to the final regular season standings. In fact, over the past seven years the Thanksgiving standings have been about 75% accurate at forecasting eventual playoff teams, predicting 12 of 16 spots on average. Even though American Thanksgiving only rolls around less than two months into the season, three out of four teams in a playoff spot at that time will have retained their postseason berth when the season ends.
The 2019-20 season of course did not have a standard postseason, but if it had then the Thanksgiving trend would have proved even more prophetic in a shortened campaign. Last year, in which teams were limited to between 68 and 71 games apiece prior to the early termination of the regular season, the Thanksgiving standings would have predicted 13 of 16 playoff teams in the standard format. Of the three teams that would have slid out of the postseason, the Florida Panthers trailed the Toronto Maple Leafs by .014 points percentage in the Atlantic Division and the Winnipeg Jets missed out by a measly .001 points percentage behind the Calgary Flames as the final Western Conference wild card. The Thanksgiving standings were that close to predicting 15 of 16 playoff teams in the shortened season, with the unexpected slow start for the Vegas Golden Knights and hot start for the Arizona Coyotes being the other unsurprising course correction.
But how does this trend impact a season that didn’t even begin until well after American Thanksgiving? Based on total games played by Thanksgiving over the past few seasons, Thanksgiving represents about the 30% progress through the NHL season. In the current 56-game season, that comes out to about the 17-game mark. Although postponements and rescheduling have created a wide discrepancy in games played among teams this year, the league as a whole passed that 17-game average on Saturday: Happy Thanksgiving. Admittedly, the 2020-21 campaign does have a different playoff model as well, one that is somewhat stricter than the last few years without the fallback of a wildcard spot for a team on the fifth-place fringe in their division. Yet, it is still a 16-team postseason and the Thanksgiving trend should hold. Using points percentage to rank the standings (the stat may end up determining playoff position for a second consecutive season anyhow) and adjusting for the season’s makeshift divisions, here is the current “Thanksgiving” outlook:
North Division East Division
Toronto Maple Leafs (.789) Boston Bruins (.733)
Montreal Canadiens (.625) Philadelphia Flyers (.679)
Winnipeg Jets (.618) Washington Capitals (.594)
Edmonton Oilers (.600) Pittsburgh Penguins (.594)____
Calgary Flames (.472) New Jersey Devils (.583)
Vancouver Canucks (.405) New York Islanders (.559)
Ottawa Senators (.237) New York Rangers (.469)
Buffalo Sabres (.429)
West Division Central Division
Vegas Golden Knights (.700) Carolina Hurricanes (.781)
Colorado Avalanche (.679) Florida Panthers (.750)
St. Louis Blues (.611) Tampa Bay Lightning (.700)
Minnesota Wild (.571) Dallas Stars (.583)
Los Angeles Kings (.531) Chicago Blackhawks (.579)
Arizona Coyotes (.500) Columbus Blue Jackets (.526)
San Jose Sharks (.500) Nashville Predators (.412)
Anaheim Ducks (.417) Detroit Red Wings (.325)
Now this begs the question, especially seeing how accurate the Thanksgiving standings were in last year’s shortened season but also accounting for the many disruptions for a number of teams early this season, who is the trend currently overlooking? Which teams currently outside the playoff picture, if any, do you think will make the postseason when all is said and done later this season? Use the comments section below as well to discuss which teams may fall out of the postseason and whether you feel the Thanksgiving trend will apply this season.
Which Of These Teams Will Buck The "Thanksgiving" Trend And Make The Playoffs?
-
New York Islanders 23% (263)
-
Chicago Blackhawks 19% (215)
-
Los Angeles Kings 10% (110)
-
None - "Thanksgiving" goes 16/16 9% (102)
-
Columbus Blue Jackets 8% (88)
-
Calgary Flames 6% (73)
-
New Jersey Devils 6% (64)
-
New York Rangers 4% (50)
-
Arizona Coyotes 4% (42)
-
Vancouver Canucks 4% (42)
-
Buffalo Sabres 2% (25)
-
San Jose Sharks 2% (18)
-
Detroit Red Wings 1% (17)
-
Nashville Predators 1% (14)
-
Anaheim Ducks 1% (9)
-
Ottawa Senators 1% (7)
Total votes: 1,139
David Krejci And Kevan Miller Won't Play Tomorrow's Outdoor Game
- The Bruins will be without center David Krejci and defenseman Kevan Miller for their outdoor game at Lake Tahoe tomorrow, notes Joe McDonald of the Worcester Telegram and Gazette (Twitter link). Krejci is dealing with a lower-body injury sustained on Thursday versus New Jersey while Miller’s absence is believed to be more for rest as he works his way back from missing all of last year. Jack Studnicka and Urho Vaakanainen were both recalled to Boston’s taxi squad yesterday.
Par Lindholm Clears Unconditional Waivers, Signs In Sweden
Monday: Lindholm cleared waivers earlier in the day and now Skelleftea AIK has officially announced his signing, indicating that his contract has been terminated by the Boston Bruins. Lindholm’s split from the NHL is no small move either; AIK revealed that his contract is a five-year pact, the remainder of this season and the following four seasons. Lindholm will be 34 years old before he could potentially return to the NHL for the 2025-26 season, likely meaning his time in North America is over after three seasons.
Sunday: The Boston Bruins have placed forward Par Lindholm on waivers today, but likely not for the usual reasons. Having already cleared waivers earlier this season and not in need of a second go-round on the wire, Lindholm’s placement is expected to be a precursor to the termination of his current contract. Swedish news source AftonBladet reports that Lindholm is leaving Boston, who has agreed to his release, and has already come to terms on a multi-year contract with the SHL’s Skelleftea AIK.
There is no doubting that Lindholm’s role in Boston this season has been reduced. Although he was always intended to be a bottom-six depth player when he signed with the club in 2019, Lindholm played in 40 games last season, more than half of the Bruins’ contests. So far this season he has only managed to get into one game, even as the team has dealt with numerous injuries up front. The additions of Nick Ritchie and Ondrej Kase (who has actually missed most of the season so far) late last season and Craig Smith this off-season have pushed players like Sean Kuraly and Anders Bjork to primarily fourth-line duty. Their roles as top-nine substitutes helped Lindholm get into the action last year. Add in the emergence of Trent Frederic as an NHL regular and Boston’s effort to get other young options like Jack Studnicka, Karson Kuhlman, and Anton Blidh some experience and there has simply been no need for Lindholm so far this year. He is fortunate to have played in even one game, as free agent addition Greg McKegg is still awaiting his debut. If the Bruins stay healthy and Kase returns to action, there isn’t even enough room for both Frederic and Bjork in the lineup, nevertheless Lindholm among others.
Lindholm’s expected departure from the Bruins showcases the difference in mindset between players. He easily could have stayed on in Boston in a taxi squad role and if multiple injuries struck in the bottom-six he may have found his way back into the lineup. Even if that didn’t occur, he could have sat in the press box all season, collecting on his $850K one-way contract, and still may have would up with a Stanley Cup ring given the Bruins’ talented roster. Instead, Lindholm would rather playing consistently and actually contributing to his team’s success, even if that means leaving the NHL altogether. Assuming he clears unconditional waivers, Lindholm will head to Skelleftea and jump right into the SHL stretch run. He is set to join the team currently sitting in fourth place in the league and will skate alongside a number of talented NHL prospects on a young, dynamic Skelleftea lineup. Per AftonBladet, Lindholm is expected to be a major addition and leader for Skelleftea and not only for the remainder of this season, but for “several years”.
Also on waivers today are Montreal’s Paul Byron (link), Detroit’s Danny DeKeyser (link), Columbus’ Gabriel Carlsson, and Carolina’s newly-acquired Alex Galchenyuk. Edmonton’s James Neal has cleared after being waived yesterday.
Snapshots: COVID, U18, O’Ree
The NHL has sent out a memo to its teams detailing further enhanced COVID measures, according to Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet. The memo includes specifically recommended masks, virtual meetings, removing the glass from the penalty box, further recommendations about remaining at home except for practices/games, and, perhaps most importantly, rapid testing on game days.
Vegas Golden Knights forward Mark Stone spoke about the rapid testing change this morning, one that should hit close to home given his team had a player pulled mid-game recently. Tomas Nosek played two periods before his positive test results forced him out of a Golden Knights game, a situation that rapid testing can hopefully help avoid. Today, the Edmonton Oilers-Montreal Canadiens game has been pushed back an hour to give the league more time to process tests after one Edmonton player was added to the COVID protocol.
- While the NHL continues to try and navigate their season, international events are starting to be planned for later this year. USA Hockey has announced the 2021 IIHF Under-18 Men’s World Championship, to be held in conjunction with the Dallas Stars in Texas. The event is scheduled for April 26-May 6 and will primarily be held in Frisco, Texas at the Comerica Center.
- The Boston Bruins will postpone their banner raising ceremony for Willie O’Ree until next year, retiring his number 22 on January 18, 2022, instead, in the hopes that he will be able to attend the event in front of a full arena. That date will be 64 years after O’Ree made his debut as the first Black player in the NHL.
