The hockey world got what it was waiting for last night when Zack Kassian and Matthew Tkachuk finally dropped the gloves in what was a fiery edition of the battle of Alberta. While many gave the decision to the bigger Edmonton Oilers forward, the same can’t be said for the outcome of the game. The Oilers were defeated in a shootout by the Calgary Flames and are now two points behind their provincial rivals in the standings. As always, we’ll keep track of all the minor moves around the league today as teams prepare for their own battles this evening:
- The Boston Bruins have recalled Karson Kuhlman and Jeremy Lauzon from the AHL, as they prepare to return to action after ten days off. The Bruins are on a two-game road trip that will stop in Winnipeg and Minnesota on back-to-back nights, and need all the healthy bodies they can get.
- The Jets made a pair of moves themselves as they prepare for Boston tomorrow night, recalling Cameron Schilling and Logan Shaw. The 31-year old Schilling still hasn’t played in an NHL game this season, but does have 20 points in 42 games for the Manitoba Moose.
- The Florida Panthers have recalled both Riley Stillman and Sam Montembeault, as they get ready for an afternoon tilt on Saturday. Florida can potentially put a fork in division-rival Montreal with a win, putting them 12 points up in the standings.
- Givani Smith, Filip Zadina and Dennis Cholowski have all been recalled as the youth movement continues for the Detroit Red Wings. All three players figure to be core pieces for the squad moving forward and will get a chance down the stretch to really establish themselves.
- Connor Bunnaman and Alex Lyon have been recalled by the Philadelphia Flyers, who are still waiting on Carter Hart’s return from injury. The team will use Brian Elliott for the time being, but need their young star goaltender back as soon as possible.
- After being taken along on the road with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Tyler Gaudet is on his way back to the AHL. Toronto gave Gaudet a chance to come with them when they visited Nashville, the organization that had him for parts of the last two seasons. He isn’t expected to see any NHL action for the Maple Leafs.
- Chase De Leo is on the way back the San Diego Gulls, assigned today to the AHL. The 24-year old has played just a single game this season with the Anaheim Ducks, and just four in his career.
- With Marc-Andre Fleury forced to miss a game after pulling out of the All-Star festivities, the Vegas Golden Knights have recalled Oskar Dansk. Nicolas Roy is coming with him with William Karlsson and Cody Glass still injured.