Vrana has 3 points (1-2) in 12 games with the Caps. The Washington Post’s Isabelle Khurshudyan tweets that the Capitals will go with 12 forwards for now. Tarik El-Bashir adds that Vrana hit the “rookie wall” in Washington.
The 2014 first round choice has been close to registering a point-per-game in Hershey, notching 16 (9-7) in 18 games.
- The Penguins have re-assigned defensemen Chad Ruhwedel and David Warsofsky according to the team’s website. Both will head back to the AHL’s Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins along with goaltender Tristan Jarry. Jason Mackey tweets that the moves are to get each player more games during the Penguins’ bye week. They are scheduled to play again on January 8th against Tampa Bay.
- Elliotte Friedman tweets that the Jets have placed Alexander Burmistrov on waivers while the Predators placed Reid Boucher on waivers. Burmistrov has two points (0-2) in 23 games while Boucher has one goal in three games with the Preds.
- The New Jersey Devils have recalled defenseman Steve Santini from the Albany Devils of the AHL. The former Boston College blue liner made his NHL debut late last season, but has not yet played for New Jersey in 2016-17.
- Nashville has sent defenseman Adam Pardy back to down to the AHL. The Predators signed the veteran defenseman after the regular season had begun for some added depth, but he has played in just four games in Nashville. Most of his time has been spent with the Milwaukee Admirals, who he now returns to.
- With Sami Vatanen returning to the lineup, the Anaheim Ducks have reassigned defenseman Shea Theodore to the AHL’s San Diego Gulls. Theodore is one of an overwhelming number of good, young defenseman in Anaheim, and while he would play at the NHL level for most teams, he’ll have to earn a full-time job over another veteran starter or wait for a hole to open up for a permanent job with the Ducks. For now, he heads back to the minors while Anaheim takes an extended look at Brandon Montour.