It appears as though there will be daily movement this season between the active roster and taxi squad. Although some major names may be highlighted in separate articles, this is where you’ll find the majority of shuffle news each day.
- The Washington Capitals have recalled Craig Anderson from the taxi squad while replacing him with Connor McMichael. The team of course is dealing with a breach of COVID protocol by several top players, including goaltender Ilya Samsonov who will now be unable to practice or play for a certain amount of time. With Samsonov sidelined, Anderson will join Vitek Vanecek in the crease.
- The Nashville Predators have recalled Michael McCarron, Philip Tomasino, and Ben Harpur from the AHL to the taxi squad, while sending Cole Smith from the taxi squad to the AHL. The 19-year-old Tomasino will be the most interesting name of the bunch after his excellent World Junior performance a few weeks ago. Selected in the first round, Tomasino is one of the top prospects waiting for the OHL to return and is currently eligible to play in the AHL.
- Morgan Barron and Matthew Robertson have both been assigned to the AHL from the New York Rangers taxi squad, giving them a chance to take part in minor league training camp. The pair of prospects are just starting their professional careers (with Robertson even eligible to return to the WHL) and need any development time available to them.
- Spencer Martin has been recalled to the Tampa Bay Lightning taxi squad, giving them an extra goaltender as Curtis McElhinney remains on the CPRA list. Martin, 25, has played just three games at the NHL level and none since the 2016-17 season.
- The Chicago Blackhawks have recalled MacKenzie Entwistle and Reese Johnson from the AHL to the taxi squad. Johnson, 22, has yet to see an NHL game and had just eight points in 52 AHL games last season for the Rockford IceHogs. Entwistle meanwhile had a much better start to his pro career, scoring 26 points in 56 games last season for Rockford.
- In the wake of their injuries, the Philadelphia Flyers have recalled Samuel Morin from the taxi squad. Morin has experience at defense but has been training for a transition to wing to continue his career. He said during training camp that he had been watching Matt Martin and hoped to imitate that kind of impact.
- The Detroit Red Wings have added Taro Hirose to their taxi squad, recalling him from the AHL. The winger played in 26 games with Detroit last season, picking up two goals and five assists while adding 27 points (5-22-27) in 35 games with Grand Rapids. The spot on the taxi squad was opened up Wednesday when Kevin Boyle was sent to the Griffins.