As usual, Saturday is a very busy day on the NHL calendar with 28 teams in action. There should be plenty of roster movement around the league as a result and we’ll keep tabs on those moves here.
- The Senators announced (Twitter link) that they have returned defenseman Christian Jaros to Belleville of the AHL. His NHL stint lasted just one day but he did log a little more than ten minutes of ice time on Friday. It’s expected that Nikita Zaitsev (personal) will be available for their next game on Monday.
- Joseph Blandisi is back on his way to AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, per a Penguins team release. The 25-year-old has a goal and an assist in nine games with Pittsburgh this season but had been a healthy scratch over their past two games. The Pens are off until Monday so the move may just be to bank a little bit of cap space as well.
- The Red Wings announced that they’ve assigned defenseman Joe Hicketts to AHL Grand Rapids. The 23-year-old has played in six games with Detroit this season, logging a little over 18 minutes per night. Although he has been productive in the minors (nine assists in 11 games), that didn’t translate to the big club as he has just a pair of NHL helpers on the season.
- Eric Comrie is back with the Coyotes who announced that they’ve recalled the goalie from his conditioning stint. He got into four games with the Roadrunners, posting a 2.75 GAA and a .900 SV%, but had spent the maximum amount of time possible in the minors and had to be recalled. Where things go from here is a bit trickier. He’s waiver-eligible and clearly the third-string option behind Darcy Kuemper and Antti Raanta. In the short-term, he’ll likely be spending a lot of time in the press box in Arizona.
- The Boston Bruins have returned Urho Vaakanainen to the AHL in anticipation of the return of Torey Krug to the lineup on Saturday. Vaakanainen has not done much scoring at either level this season – scoreless in the NHL and just two assists in the AHL – but he did not look out of place in five games with Boston. The Bruins’ top defensive prospect, Vaakanainen may be developing into more of a smooth-skating puck transition defenseman than an offensive dynamo.
- The San Jose Sharks have announced that veteran defender Dalton Prout has been placed on injured reserve. Taking his roster spot for the time being is forward Noah Gregor, promoted from the AHL Barracuda. Gregor has yet to record his first NHL point through ten games with the Sharks this season, but has been better than a point-per-game in the minors.
- The Athletic’s Joe Yerden relays that the Buffalo Sabres defenseman Zach Bogosian has already been activated, while forward Vladimir Sobotka has been placed on LTIR, which puts the Sabres just over $3MM into their LTIR allotment.