After the NHL announced that they have formally declined using their opt-out clause to re-0pen the current CBA early, the NHLPA has until Sept. 15th to make their decision on whether they want to opt-out of the current agreement after the 2019-20 season. Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports that while the deadline is Sunday, there is a provision in which the decision can be moved to the next business day, which means that the two sides have an extra day to negotiate before the NHLPA will decide whether to reopen the CBA or whether to keep it intact until Sept. of 2022.
The two sides have been negotiating for a full week now and will now get to continue one extra day as no decision now has to be made until the end of the day on Monday. The NHL has made it clear they want to keep things as they are.
“Our hope that a continued, sustained period of labor peace will enable us to further grow the game and benefit all constituent groups: NHL Players, Clubs, our business partners and, most important, our fans,” said NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman.
Current rumors, according to The Athletic’s Katie Strang (subscription required), is that negotiations have been less challenging than the ones during the last labor dispute that cost the league 113 days of lockout during the 2012-13 season.