As July marches on and we get into arbitration hearings and contract holdouts, teams continue to fill our their organizational depth charts. Here are some minor moves from around the league. We’ll keep updating as more come in:
- The Rochester Americans have signed Shaw Boomhower and Frank Hora to one-year AHL contracts. Both players spent the majority of their 2018-19 season in the ECHL, and could be ticketed for that league once again. Boomhower, 20, recorded 94 penalty minutes in 30 games for the Cincinatti Cyclones while scoring just seven points.
- Alex Dubeau has signed a one-year two-way AHL contract with the Belleville Senators after spending the last four years at the University of New Brunswick. After finishing his senior season, Dubeau suited up six times for the Fort Wayne Komets of the ECHL and actually posted a .921 save percentage. The 25-year old goaltender will be used as depth in the low minors.
- Minor league defenseman Chris Summers is taking his talents to the DEL, signing a two-year contract in Germany. Summers has actually played 70 NHL games over a long professional career, but spent the last two seasons with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. The 31-year old was a first-round pick in 2006, but failed to ever establish himself as a full-time NHL defender.
- Shane Hanna won’t be back with the Texas Stars this season, as the 25-year old defenseman has signed in Denmark for one year. Hanna suited up 58 times for the Stars last season and recorded 10 points, but will try things overseas to continue his professional career.
- Cavan Fitzgerald has signed a one-year AHL contract with the Charlotte Checkers after failing to receive a qualifying offer from the San Jose Sharks earlier this offseason. The 22-year old Fitzgerald played 66 games for the San Jose Barracuda last season, recording 20 points and 42 penalty minutes.
- The Utica Comets have signed Zach Frye to an AHL contract, another Barracuda defenseman who will find a new home in 2019-20. The 25-year old played most of last season with the Orlando Solar Bears however, posting 16 points in 25 games. Known for his willingness to engage physically, Frye once recorded 214 penalty minutes in just 38 games for the Lincoln Stars of the USHL.