After 26 teams suited up for NHL action on Saturday, just eight will do so on Sunday. Starting off the action today are the Boston Bruins and San Jose Sharks, two teams with seemingly little in common but are in fact the two most successful regular season teams in the salary cap era. Even with a relatively quiet slate, just as many teams could be making moves in response to yesterday’s games as are preparing for their games today, so be on the lookout for a number of roster tweaks throughout the day:
- The Ottawa Senators have made a roster swap, reassigning forward Parker Kelly to AHL Belleville and recalling goaltender Filip Gustavsson in his place. Ottawa starter Matt Murray left Saturday’s game with an injury and Gustavsson is the next man up for the Sens. Gustavsson was actually the goaltender protected by Ottawa in this summer’s NHL Expansion Draft and the team’s future in net, so this could be the opportunity he needs for a to secure a permanent role at the top level. The Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch expects Murray to land on injured reserve.
- With Nick Foligno landing on IR and Craig Smith and Anton Blidh also sidelined with injuries, the Bruins are in need of reinforcements up front. They have recalled Jack Studnicka and Oskar Steen from AHL Providence while sending down defenseman John Moore in order to bring in that extra help. Studnicka, considered one of Boston’s top prospects, was a standout in the preseason and will try to make the most of this chance to stick in the NHL.
- The Philadelphia Flyers have returned defenseman Nick Seeler to the minors, per CapFriendly. The 28-year-old was recalled on an emergency basis on Saturday and logged just under 15 minutes of ice time in their loss to Florida. Seeler has been held off the scoresheet in three games so far this season.
- Per Colorado Hockey Now’s Adrian Dater, the Colorado Avalanche have assigned forward Mikhail Maltsev to the AHL’s Colorado Eagles. It’s likely a move meant to accrue cap space, as Maltsev does not have to pass through waivers. His assignment leaves Colorado with only one extra skater on the roster and no extra forwards. Maltsev has no points in three games this season with the big club, playing under 10 minutes per game.
- The Chicago Blackhawks have recalled defenseman Ian Mitchell from the Rockford IceHogs ahead of tonight’s game. The news comes after Jujhar Khaira and Riley Stillman will be unavailable tonight due to COVID-19 protocol.
This post will be updated throughout the day