There has been plenty of roster movement between NHL teams and the taxi squad on a daily basis this season. Although some major names may be highlighted in separate articles, this is where you’ll find the majority of that shuffle news each day:
- With a back-to-back lined up this weekend, the Ottawa Senators have recalled Filip Gustavsson to get one last look at the young netminder before their season comes to a close. The Senators face a difficult decision of which of their five (yes, five) Expansion Draft-eligible goalies to protect this summer, but the 22-year-old Gustavsson may just be the pick given his phenomenal numbers in six appearances this season. Perhaps one final strong start will tip the scales his way and lead to the exposure of starter Matt Murray and fellow backups Marcus Hogberg, Anton Forsberg, and Joey Daccord to the Seattle Kraken.
- Ahead of their season finale on Saturday, the Detroit Red Wings announced that a pair of promising young players will not take part and rather have been reassigned to the taxi squad. It’s a curious decision to bench Joseph Veleno and Givani Smith, seeing as the duo are part of the Red Wings’ future, which is all the 27th-place team should be focused on right now. The team has made one recall, bringing goaltender Calvin Pickard up to the active roster.
- Despite playing in nine straight games, including his first goal as a Blue Jacket in his most recent outing, defenseman Gavin Bayreuther has been reassigned to the AHL’s Cleveland Monsters. The prevailing theory: at this point in their respective seasons, wins are worth more to Cleveland chasing a division title than to Columbus chasing top lottery odds.
- The New Jersey Devils have brought back wingers Nolan Foote and Tyce Thompson, per a team announcement. Foote made an impact in his first four NHL games, picking up a goal and an assist while Thompson has been held without a point in seven contests. Both players are at today’s morning skate.
- The Washington Capitals have shuffled up their roster, announcing that they have sent Daniel Carr down to the taxi squad while recalling Garrett Pilon to the active roster. Carr has an assist in six games this season while Pilon has yet to play in the NHL but has 16 points in 14 games with AHL Hershey this season.
- The Arizona Coyotes have recalled Hudson Fasching and Aaron Ness from the taxi squad, sending Michael Chaput back in the process. The Coyotes will finish their season tonight against the San Jose Sharks.
- The Los Angeles Kings have recalled Rasmus Kupari from the taxi squad, while moving Quinton Byfield off the roster. Byfield took a painful shot off the foot last night against the Avalanche but managed to stay in the game. By playing in one more match, Byfield would burn the first year of his entry-level contract.
This page will be updated throughout the day.