The NHL was off yesterday while America celebrated Thanksgiving, but is back with a bang today with 30 of 31 teams taking part. The action gets kicked off this afternoon with the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers battling in a Metropolitan Division matchup. With all the action there might not be a ton of minor moves, but we’ll keep track of them either way.
- The Minnesota Wild have recalled Kaapo Kahkonen from the minor leagues to backup Alex Stalock today, as Devan Dubnyk is dealing with an illness. The young goaltender was up under emergency conditions and was sent back to the Iowa Wild following the game.
- The opposite has happened for the Arizona Coyotes, as they’ve sent Hunter Miska back to the minor leagues. That’s because Antti Raanta has been activated off injured reserve, a huge turn of events for the Coyotes as they chase a playoff spot in the Western Conference.
- Eric Gryba has been reassigned to the AHL by the New Jersey Devils, as Sami Vatanen and Brian Boyle have been activated by the team. Joey Anderson, who suffered a lower-body injury earlier this week, has taken their place on injured reserve.
- The New York Rangers have brought up winger Tim Gettinger from Hartford of the AHL. The 20-year-old is off to a solid start to his first professional season, tallying seven goals and four assists through 20 games with the Wolf Pack.
- Following their game against Edmonton, the Anaheim Ducks returned defenseman Andy Welinski to San Diego of the AHL. The 25-year-old has split the season between the NHL and AHL, picking up an assist in nine games with Anaheim while logging just over 15 minutes per game. He has been more productive in the minors with five points in seven contests with the Gulls.
- Lawrence Pilut’s NHL debut will have to wait. The Buffalo Sabres announced that they’ve returned the defenseman back to Rochester of the AHL following their victory over Montreal. His first season in North America has been a productive one as tied for the AHL lead in points with 22 in just 15 games but the Sabres opted to not give him a shot after being recalled earlier this week.