Last year around this time, Pro Hockey Rumors put out a call for new writers. We were lucky enough to find two excellent candidates and grow the PHR family with the addition of Ethan Hetu and John Gilroy. Now, with the calendar turning to 2023, we’re looking to grow our staff again.
PHR is looking to hire part-time writers with strong evening and weekend availability. The position pays on an hourly basis.
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Exceptional knowledge of all 32 NHL teams, with no discernible bias.
- Knowledge of the salary cap, CBA, and transaction-related concepts.
- At least some college education.
- Extensive writing experience, with professional experience and a background in journalism both strongly preferred.
- Keen understanding of journalistic principles, ethics, and procedures. Completion of basic college-level journalism classes is strongly preferred.
- Attention to detail — absolutely no spelling errors, especially for player and journalist names.
- Ability to follow the site’s style and tone.
- Ability to analyze articles and craft intelligent, well-written posts summing up the news in a few paragraphs. We need someone who can balance quick copy with thoughtful analysis. You must be able to add value to breaking news with your own insight, numbers, or links to other relevant articles.
- Familiarity with Twitter, Tweetdeck, and other relevant platforms. In general, you must be able to multitask.
- Flexibility. You must be available to work on short notice.
If you’re interested, email prohockeyrumorshelp@
We understand that many of those who read this have applied in the past. If you have previously submitted an application for PHR and are still interested, please submit it again. Many will apply, so unfortunately we cannot respond to every applicant.
(Update: With recent developments for Vox Media and SB Nation affecting many hockey writers, we have re-opened the application process for another week.)