Some sad news out of Dallas today as the team announced that their play-by-play announcer, Dave Strader, has been diagnosed with cancer. Strader just completed his first season as the voice of the Stars and has been in play-by-play booths for the last 36 years. Everyone at PHR sends their best wishes to Dave and his family through this difficult time.
Other news and notes from around the NHL:
- The re-signing of goalie Marek Mazanec in Nashville earlier today brings forth some doubt as to Carter Hutton’s future with the team. GM David Poile confirmed the two sides are in talks on a new contract but that he feels that “Going to another team will give him a better opportunity to get more games and to probably extend his career” and that “It’s not over yet, but I would say that is probably the way that Carter is leaning”. Hutton has spent the last three years with the Preds, posting a 33-23-12 record in 75 games with a 2.55 GAA and a .910 SV% and will be an unrestricted free agent July 1st.
- Former NHLer Daniel Alfredsson has signed a one year extension to stay on as Ottawa’s Senior Advisor of Hockey Operations, a role he first began in this past season. Alfredsson is the Senators’ All-Time scoring leader, collecting 1,108 points over 17 seasons with the team.
- Pittsburgh center Matt Cullen has yet to decide on his playing future. The 39 year old is an unrestricted free agent on July 1st and played with a broken toe since Game 2 of the Conference Finals. Cullen was the fifth oldest NHLer to suit up in a game this past season.
- It appears that one of the two remaining head coaching vacancies is close to being filled as Calgary GM Brad Treliving said in a radio interview this morning that their search would be “coming to a conclusion very quickly”.
- Following Lake Erie’s AHL title, Columbus will now look to fill their replacement for former Associate Coach Craig Hartsburg. Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports that Lake Erie coach Jared Bednar, as well as Darryl Sydor and Brad Shaw, are likely to be interviewed for that position.