Now that the 2016 NHL Draft is in the books, we look to 2017 and document the current status of traded draft picks for the upcoming draft.
- New Jersey acquired Boston’s 2nd in a trade for Lee Stempniak on February 29, 2016;
- Vancouver acquired Columbus’s 2nd in either 2016, 2017, or 2018 as compensation for Columbus hiring Coach John Tortorella on October 21, 2015;
- Boston acquired Edmonton’s 2nd as compensation for Edmonton hiring GM Peter Chiarelli on April 24, 2015;
- Buffalo acquired Minnesota’s 2nd in a trade for Chris Stewart on March 2, 2015;
- Carolina acquired NY Rangers’ 2nd in a trade for Eric Staal on February 28, 2016;
- Toronto acquired Ottawa’s 2nd in a trade involving Dion Phaneuf on February 9, 2016;
- Toronto acquired San Jose’s 2nd in a trade involving Raffi Torres and Roman Polak on February 22, 2016;
- Anaheim acquired Toronto’s 2nd in a trade for Frederik Andersen on June 20, 2016;
- Montreal acquired Washington’s 2nd in a trade for Lars Eller on June 24, 2016.
- Philadelphia acquired Boston’s 3rd in a trade for Zac Rinaldo on June 30, 2015;
- Chicago acquired its 3rd back from Carolina’s in a trade for Bryan Bickell and Teuvo Teravainen on June 15, 2016. Carolina initially acquired the pick on September 11, 2015 in a trade for Kris Versteeg;
- New Jersey acquired Colorado’s 3rd in a trade for Eric Gelinas on February 29, 2016;
- Arizona acquired Detroit’s 3rd via San Jose in a trade for Maxim Letunov on June 20, 2016;
- Carolina acquired the conditional rights to New Jersey’s 3rd in a trade for Tuomo Ruutu on March 5, 2014;
- Detroit acquired Toronto’s 3rd as compensation for Toronto hiring coach Mike Babcock on May 20, 2015;
- Buffalo acquired Washington’s 3rd in a trade for Mike Weber on February 23, 2016.
- NY Rangers acquired Florida’s 4th in a trade for Keith Yandle on June 20, 2016 once Yandle signed with Florida;
- Philadelphia acquired NY Islanders’ 4th in a draft day trade for Philadelphia’s 2016 4th;
- Colorado acquired NY Rangers’ 4th in a trade for Nick Holden on June 25, 2016;
- Edmonton acquired conditional rights to Vancouver’s 4th in a trade for Philip Larsen on February 24, 2016. The pick becomes a 5th if Larsen does not hit specified production thresholds.
- Carolina acquired Boston’s 5th in a trade for John-Michael Liles on February 29, 2016;
- Chicago acquired Carolina’s 5th in a trade for Kris Versteeg on September 11, 2015;
- Chicago acquired St. Louis’s 5th in a draft day trade for Chicago’s 2016 5th.
- Florida acquires Anaheim’s 6th in a trade involving Colby Robak on December 4, 2014. The pick would have been a 2016 4th if Robak played more games for the Ducks;
- San Jose acquires Arizona’s 6th in a trade for Maxim Letunov on June 20, 2016;
- Detroit acquired Florida’s 6th in a trade for Jakub Kindl on February 27, 2016;
- Chicago acquired NY Islanders’ 6th in a draft day trade involving both teams’ 2016 4th rounders;
- Nashville acquired NY Rangers’ 6th in a trade for Magnus Hellberg on July 1, 2015;
- NY Rangers acquired Vancouver’s 6th in a trade for Emerson Etem on January 8, 2016.
- Chicago acquired Anaheim’s 7th in a trade for Corey Tropp on February 29, 2016;
- Pittsburgh conditionally acquired Arizona’s 7th in a trade for Sergei Plotnikov on February 29, 2016. Plotnikov must re-sign with Arizona for Pittsburgh to get the pick;
- San Jose acquired Chicago’s 7th in a trade on March 2, 2015. The pick was conditioned on Chicago winning the Stanley Cup in 2014-15;
- Boston acquired Florida’s 7th in a draft day trade for Boston’s 2016 7th;
- Winnipeg acquired Montreal’s 7th in a draft day trade for Winnipeg’s 2016 7th.